Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What Mommies are for...

Mondays around our house are really busy.  We have the start to a new week along with skating lessons and grocery store trips...

It came as no surprise to me that when we were ready to head off to school this morning that Maddie's beloved penguin was missing.  In a fast search to find him while the kids were heading out to the car for school I came up empty handed.  I looked in all of the usual places but still no penguin...

We went on to school with a very upset Madison.  I tried putting snaky snake into her bag as a replacement however it didn't fill the void.  I promised to have penguin waiting for her when I came to pick her up from school.   Upon dropping the kids off I went out to the ice arena to see if we left him at skate last night, but he wasn't there.  I came home and searched every room until I found him snuggled under our couch.  With a huge sigh of relief, I picked him up and put him in the car making sure not to forget him...  I had to laugh at myself in that moment because it got me thinking...

When Shawn was at about the same age as Maddie now, I remember heading to our grocery store to check the lost and found for Shawn's "Ramone" car that was missing... Sure enough when I asked they knew just what I was talking about.
 
 

It is funny because I find myself as attached to the objects that my children find comfort in.  I too panic when a stuffed friend is missing or find the parking lot of cars incomplete if all of them aren't there and I will go to any length to find them.  Maybe that is what Mommies are for.  Sometimes I feel like I am a mental file cabinet for keeping track of toys, books and games.
 
There are so many situations in life when Mommies do things not for any reason other than the fact that they are Mommy and that is what Mommies do...  It is almost like a right of passage... For instance, poopy diapers... dancing around the room in a bright pink boa, or when kids music is what plays in the car.   Maybe scrambling to make a car garage out of cereal boxes or finding tape to fix the picture that they tried to rip out on their own. 
 
I am sure that you understand what I am saying...
Been there before?
 
making boo boo's feel better.... the crust cutter offer...the fishy kisser...the hand holder...the taxi driver...the negotiator...the maker of forts...the snowball roller... monster chaser... the one who picks up the pieces from hurt feelings... the super hero cape maker...the birthday cake baker... the stuffed animal finder... the tucker inner...the train track builder...the story reader...the love you so much it hurts- er.. the example for their daughters... the get the ball out of the street person... the fixer of toys... the creator of all ideas they take from their mind to reality (if it is even possible)... the helper of all things...
 
Any of these sound familiar?
 
I am sure that when Lauren gets to be Madison's age I will be out searching for her friend somewhere... and I will go on a search to find it because after all... what are Mommies for?

No comments:

Post a Comment